Wednesday, September 2, 2009

SAHMs


It's official. I requested to extend my unpaid leave at school to the end of the year. Today I got the letter. I was granted the extension. Here is my list of pros and cons that I have been wrestling with in my brain for some time now. Although I wrote this earlier this week, I am actually just posting it now, 9/5...because I just got the approval notice.

Some wonderful things about staying at home (right now):

1. I get to have these precious memories with my baby...not someone else.
2. This is my last year with Talan before he starts Kindergarten. And when that happens, time really begins to fly :(
3. Babies are only babies once :(
4. This is my last one, and I want to soak it all in.
5. My personal opinion is that babies belong with their mommies when possible. Feel free to disagree. That's just how I feel.
6. I can focus on only my children for now, and I'm not as stressed out at the end of the school day.
7. Now when I pick up my boys, I have a genuine smile on my face and am eager to hear about their day and all they have to say...rather than getting onto them about getting their things together so we can leave [my classroom at the end of the school day] to go get Talan and I guess now it would be Ansley too--both at different places.
8. I won't have to argue with Kevin about whose turn it is to take off when the boys get sick.
9. I get to focus on prepping Talan for K, and I will hopefully get him reading some 3-letter words at least before school begins for him.
10. I will never get this time back. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Some cons of being a SAHM this year:

1. Lack of adult conversation. (Kevin just doesn't have a whole lot to talk about. And college football starting tonight did not help matters!)
2. No concrete deadlines, objectives, or goals...I set my own, which mean sometimes I'm the only who notices I even did anything. (I know--waaaah waaaah LOL)
3. I feel "out of the loop."
4. I'm missing out on the one chance I'll ever get to teach Spencer 1 subject.
5. Ummmm....money!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I think you made a good decision! I agree about the adult conversation and feeling out of the loop though. Sometimes I felt I would lose it. I couldn't do it forever!

The Smith's said...

I have very mixed feelings about staying at home with my kids. I don't think it is any big secret that I don't always enjoy it! I miss the adult conversation, I have no reason to get dressed and do anything, my kids are whiney when they are with me and are very pleasant with other people. Not to mention the comments that I get from people who think all I do all day is sit at home and watch soap operas and paint my nails! I live for the days that I get to go to church and see other people! But at the same time I feel like they belong here at home with me. Now that they are in daycare 2 days a week while I go back to school I feel so guilty about it. But for me right now it is the best thing.

I am so happy for you that you are going to get to stay home though. That first year is so much easier when you can be at home with them. And I am sure Talan will have many memories of this year that he will cherish forever!