Friday, August 27, 2010

What a Mess!

When I look around the house, I think, "What a mess!" And when I think of my Talan in Kindergarten, I also think, "What a mess!"

Talan has cried several times at Kindergarten. He is currently afraid of the PE teacher "with a mustache." LOL Oddly, that is the "calmer" PE teacher, I'd have to say. I could see him being afraid of the other one, but the "one with the mustache" is really so nice. And he has taken Talan aside and sat him on his lap, fetched him some Kleenex to wipe his tears, and even gotten him early from his classroom to let him play with some balls and other equipment. Talan, well...isn't sold. Riley said he had PE today (this morning while getting ready), and Talan asked anxiously, "Do I have PE today, Mommy?" So odd!

Every morning, he wants me to walk him all the way to his bus line in the morning. I don't--I let the teacher on bus duty or another teacher take over, to help him "let go," but he still asks me along the way if I could walk him there. When I say no, he asks me to ask the teacher to walk him there for him. Apparently he doesn't want to ask himself. Such a shy little thing, he can appear to be....

But he is NOT a shy little thing ;)

Just a few of his mischievous doings....

The first "staggered" week of school, his teacher called some parents in to go over classroom stuff--the parents of the 4 children whom she had that afternoon. My child was of course one of the rambunctious ones. Mine got told on for hitting. Talan said, "I said I was sorry," in his squeaky little voice. When the teacher told the boys not to build guns or weapons out of the LEGOS, mine was the one who brought over a falling tower, pointing one end at all of the parents, waving it from side to side as though he is shooting us all with a machine gun, and said, "I'm a fireman, Mommy. I'm putting out a fire." OK, Talan. One child brought over a drawing to his daddy while we were sitting there. Mine brings over a drawing of what appeared to be a face, but then random drawings on top of it. He brought it over and said, "Here Mommy, I drew you a picture. It's a picture of you.....and your nose....and your booby." Nice. Right there among 5 quiet adults at a kidney table. I said, "Go on, Talan."

Of course the first week that Talan has full days of Kindergarten, who has bus duty? ME of course. One day Jessica told him something...can't remember what...while I was on duty and he and the others were in my classroom, waiting...and he said something to the effect of he "didn't have to," and but he "wanted to." One day he pressed the call button while Kim and me were on bus duty. Kim found that hilarious. Until her daughter told her that he had pressed it in her room. hahahaha. Spencer did say that he just thought it was a light switch, and was trying to turn out the lights. Sydney, Kim's daughter, also cracked up as she told me that Talan said the scratch on his neck was from his granddaughter. LOL. Sydney and Cole both spelled out that Talan had called them "b-i-g-f-a-t-b-u-t-t-s." great. What to do with this child? On top of that, of course I banished them to my room and threatened them with their lives, but when Teresa (another teacher) came to visit my children and say "hi," Talan escaped out the door. When she told Talan that she didn't think he was supposed to be out of the room, he told her that he could do what he wanted. UGH! She said, "Spencer, you can take over!" LOL And then, when I was on bus duty today some of the car riders, who were downstairs outside of my room longer than I was, told me that my child "screamed" really loud, saying "AAAAAAAAAHHHH!" That is his typical scream. Half-opera like.

And then yesterday, his teacher told me that while they were "sharing," Talan had told this....

"My mom.....She had a baby....And we went to the beach....And she dropped her....And the baby died."

His teacher told him that she didn't think that was a true story.

Talan said that it was.

His teacher said that it couldn't be true, because he still has a baby sister.

His smile creeped across his face as he reluctantly agreed that he was lying.


A very very sweet moment was when we had our fundraiser pep rally thing and Talan was out there with his class, and he waved at me like 10 or so times. Each time, like it was the first. He can be such a sweetheart sometimes.

I did have big talks with him and I have been firmer with his fit-pitching, but losing nap has also been rough around here for him. I love him to death and I pray that I am disciplining him the best way possible. He knows there are consequences for his actions. He hates consequences, but he eventually accepts it. We do time out. We have spanked before, but don't anymore as of about a year. Talan is just different. I refuse to beat the life out of a child when he is who he is. Time out and logical consequences are what we do.

Ahhhh...it would be much easier if I didn't find Talan so amusing. He is such a little envelope pusher...and I have to turn my back all the time so he doesn't see me cracking up. I sure hope he does a LOT of changing this year!!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds like he keeps things interesting. Evan is having a rough adjustment, too. I'm planning to write about it if I ever find the time!

The Smith's said...

I laughed so hard at this post Jackie! Talan is hilarious.