Monday, October 26, 2009

"Ya Can't Be a Policeman"

Riley wants to be a policmean when he grows up. He has said so for some time, perhaps maybe a year or so. Would I like him to be one? Of course not! Little pay, and I would worry about him putting his life in danger. And dealing with crooked policemen, too. And who wants their child to handle a gun every workday? Not I. But, he's so little and who am I to tell him no when he gets so excited about the thought of it?

One of Riley's little things is that he has turned "cop" into a verb. If he sees an officer on the side of the road, he will alert us that he is "copping" that other car. When talking about his future, he says that he would indeed "cop" Kevin or me if we were to go over the speed limit. That he would also "cop" us if we weren't wearing out seat belts. He is puzzled as to if he would have to "cop" another officer should he be breaking the rules.

So on the way to the ballgame, Riley all of sudden breaks into...a show, really.... He is in the backseat and starts saying, "Mom, if you go over the speed limit, ya can't be a policeman." ....and it continued on and on....

"How do you get to be a policeman?" asks Riley.
"You have to go to a police academy," says Kevin.
"After you go to college, of course," I add (He will be going. I don't care what his degree is in. He will be going.)
"Oh, so I have to go to college and then, what dad? A what?"
"Police academy. That's where they train you and teach you how to be a police officer."

"Oh. Mom, listen. If you go to the police academy, and when you're done, you get in a fight with someone...ya can't be a policeman."
"And Mom, if you go up there when you're done with the academy, and when they hand you the piece of paper, you just crumple it up and throw it at someone...ya can't be a policeman."
"And if you do something bad, like hurt someone...ya can't be a policeman."
"And if you're 'posed to stop at stop sign, but ya don't....ya can't be a policeman."

He seriously had like 15. I wish I could remember them all. They were just so adorable. Talan tried to chime in and do some, too. It really reminded in a way of Jeff Foxworthy. Just the way he would say, "Ya can't be a policeman," with his little hand gestures and all...every single time. Adorable. He has so much character and I love it.

Another cute thing he did was the other night when my Dad and Marty and Steph came over. I made roast for everyone. (Oh yeah it was sooooo goood....) Towards the end of dinner, he says, "Marty. Grandpa. If you need anything (with his little hand gestures), just let me know. I'll get it for you. OK? So just let me know if you need anything." How sweeeeeeet :) I just love my Riley bug!

No comments: